Senator Michael B. Enzi
400 South Kendrick Avenue, Suite 303
Gillette, Wyoming 82716
For each vacancy available at each of the academies, I am able to nominate up to 10 young people who are legal residents of the State of Wyoming. My nominations are based on the following criteria:
1. An official high school transcript showing your grades through the end of your junior year and GPA;
2. Results of the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) and/or American College Testing Program (ACT);
3. A personal letter, written in essay form, from you about yourself and why you are interested in attending one of the U.S. service academies;
4. Letters of recommendation from three people, 2 from an educator and 1 from another source;
5. Consideration of the recommendations of my Academy Selection Committee.
If you satisfactorily meet the above criteria, you will receive word from me by early December. At that time, I will notify you of the date and location of an interview by my Academy Selection Committee.
Based on your interview with the Selection Committee, they will then recommend to me up to 10 young people to be nominated from the State of Wyoming for each service academy vacancy. Following my nomination, the final selection for an appointment will be made by the academy itself. Their decision is based on:
1. Results of the SAT and/or ACT tests;
2. A complete medical examination and physical aptitude test;
3. Careful evaluation of the young person's motivation and suitability for a military career.
Since the academies carefully review the results of the SAT and/or ACT tests, I would encourage you to take the test in the spring of your junior year or fall of your senior year. You may wish to take the test two or three times -- as it is your highest score that will be reviewed. Please make arrangements to have your scores sent to my Gillette office, and advise me of when you are scheduled to take these examinations. When requesting the test results be sent to me, you will need my code numbers for ACT's it is 7199 and for SAT's it is 4768.
MINIMUM ACT/SAT REQUIRED BY THE ACADEMIES ARE:
ACT - Air Force ENGLISH-24, MATH-25, READING-24, SCIENCE-25; Military ENGLISH-23 and MATH-24; Naval ENGLISH-22 and MATH-24; Merchant Marine ENGLISH-22 and MATH-26
SAT - Air Force VERBAL-580 and MATH-560; Military VERBAL-560 and MATH-560; Naval VERBAL-530 and MATH-570; and Merchant Marine VERBAL-500 and MATH-550
Competition for academy appointments is extremely keen and therefore only a select few of those of you who apply will be successful. Consequently, I encourage you to continue your regular plans for your future education while you are competing for this appointment.
ALL REQUESTED INFORMATION MUST BE IN MY GILLETTE OFFICE BY NOVEMBER 10. Please remember to include your e-mail address in the space provided on the application.