Washington, D.C. – U.S. Senator Mike Enzi, R-Wyo., made the following comments after Scott Brown, R-Mass., won the special election to replace the late Senator Ted Kennedy, D-Mass., in the United States Senate.
“I congratulate Senator-elect Brown and look forward to working with the new junior senator from Massachusetts. There is a lesson to be learned by both parties from this election and all recent elections where there was a large shift from one party to another. We need to work together and be willing to take the good ideas from both sides of the aisle. It is what I’ve been saying with my 80 percent rule. We can agree on about 80 percent of the issues and should work on those rather than trying to force the other side to accept the 20 percent on which we disagree. The interests of the people have to come before our own political interests.
“The people expect us to listen, to abide by the Constitution and to realize the United States has maxed out our credit cards. We need fiscal discipline. While comprehensive bills get publicity, step by step solutions get things done. The American people expect us to think carefully, act cooperatively and get things done in pieces that can be read and understood.”