Skip to content

Washington, D.C. – U.S. Senator Mike Enzi, R-Wyo., is pleased to announce that Moorcroft area residents will soon have the funds to meet federal safety regulations.

The Town of Moorcroft Volunteer Fire Department grant application for fire operations and firefighter safety, submitted under the Federal Emergency Management Agency's (FEMA) Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program, has been approved.

The Town of Moorcroft Volunteer Fire Department will receive $87,750 in grant money, or 90 percent of the approved project cost of $97,500 to fund new equipment for providing oxygen to firefighters. The remaining $9,750 or 10 percent of the cost will be shared by the town.

"Well equipped local fire departments are very important in Wyoming for preventing loss of life and property," said Enzi. "This grant money will help bring the Moorcroft Department up to 100 percent firefighting capability according to national standards."

Earlier this year, the United States Fire Administration (USFA) accepted applications from career and state-recognized volunteer fire companies for grants that could be used for training, sponsoring education programs and purchasing and updating equipment.

Enzi sent a letter to paid and volunteer fire companies in Wyoming, as well as the Wyoming Department of Fire Prevention and Electrical Safety, that outlined information about the grants.

Nationally, more than 19,500 fire departments applied for grants this year, submitting requests totaling almost $2.2 billion. FEMA and the USFA plan to announce 5,500 grants, totaling $360 million. Other Wyoming fire departments may still be eligible to receive fire grants.

More information about the grants is available by visiting the USFA website (www.usfa.fema.gov/grants).